Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional ketchup from quebec. It's delicious served with meats, but we especially like it with Tortiere. Sometimes fruit (apple or peaches- grated) were added, and that would be added to the saucepan before boiling.
- In a large bowl, alternate layers of tomatoes and onions, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Let stand for at least 8 hours, better overnight.
- Rinse; drain well.
- Combine vegetables with vinegar, sugar and spice bag.
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir frequently until slightly thickened.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Fantastic! I have been making this every year. It is great with tourtiÃ¨res or anything. It is the first time.I find a recipe so close to what my mother used to make; mine has a only 2 cups of sugar.I will post a picture for you soon. Try is with roast pork,beef,swiss steak etc. etc. Sage/Rita
Actually a green tomato chow chow not exclusive to Quebec, but served throughout French Canada. Excellent on tourtiere (French Canadian Meat Pie) also with French Canadian Pork and Beans and Hamburgers.