Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
For a recipe request.
- 3 lbs finely cut green tomatoes
- 1 very finely cut up lemon (flesh & skin)
- 3 lbs sugar
- 1⁄2 cup preserved gingerroot, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- Stir half the sugar into the green tomatoes and lemon and leave overnight.
- The next morning add the rest of the sugar together with preserved ginger and crushed pineapple and stir.
- Boil for 1.5 hours.
- Pour into prepared, sterilized jars and seal.
If you're following USDA guidelines, please click on http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_steps_proc_j_j.pdf for the current processing directions.
Not a lot you can do wit very green tomatoes, so I tried this. Perhaps the ginger is a bit overpowering. Too bad the lovely green turns brown in the cooking. Good though, and gets rid of those leftovers on the vines.