Recipe by Bergy
This recipe can be doubled. Good relish from green tomatoes
Top Review by Oatty
I am 72 years old and had never canned before. We had an overabundance of green tomatoes this year so I decided I had procrastinated long enough. I WASTED ALL OF MY YEARS!!! This was delicious. Just think how much I had missed. The relish was easy.....didn't take any groceries I didn't already have on hand and the results were fantastic.
- 6 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 green peppers, seeded,chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine green tomatoes, onions and pickling salt.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Steriloize 6 1/2 pint jars.
- Rinse tomatoes & onions well, drain and rinse out excess moisture.
- In a large saucepan combine vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, sal t& ginger.
- Tie cloves, cinnamon stick & celery seed in a square of cheese cloth, add to the pickling liquid.
- Bring to a boil, add tomatoes, onions,& peppers simmer for 1 hour stirring frequently.
- Ladle relish into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2" of top, release air bubbles by running a spatula around the inside of the jar, cover with heated snap lid, screw on band.
- Bring water in a large pot (use the pot & water that you used to sterilize the jars) to a boil, place jars in and water process for 10 minutes.