Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe can be doubled. Good relish from green tomatoes
Make and share this Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 green peppers, seeded,chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl combine green tomatoes, onions and pickling salt.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Steriloize 6 1/2 pint jars.
- Rinse tomatoes & onions well, drain and rinse out excess moisture.
- In a large saucepan combine vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, sal t& ginger.
- Tie cloves, cinnamon stick & celery seed in a square of cheese cloth, add to the pickling liquid.
- Bring to a boil, add tomatoes, onions,& peppers simmer for 1 hour stirring frequently.
- Ladle relish into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2" of top, release air bubbles by running a spatula around the inside of the jar, cover with heated snap lid, screw on band.
- Bring water in a large pot (use the pot & water that you used to sterilize the jars) to a boil, place jars in and water process for 10 minutes.
I am 72 years old and had never canned before. We had an overabundance of green tomatoes this year so I decided I had procrastinated long enough. I WASTED ALL OF MY YEARS!!! This was delicious. Just think how much I had missed. The relish was easy.....didn't take any groceries I didn't already have on hand and the results were fantastic.
5 stars on this for sure!! the taste is great, a little tart, just the way we like it, I cut the sugar to a little less than half called for, the colour is wonderful. I just made 1/3 recipe because that is all the green tomatoes I had and followed the recipe as is except I added a good shake of red pepper flakes, we like a little bite in our relish. Thanks for sharing Bergy! now we've tasted it, wish I had more green tomatoes!! — Oct 14, 2005
Interesting to see one say too tart and another too sweet. I only used half the sugar suggested as most store bought tomato relish I find way too sweet. I also used red wine vinegar. Seemed like a good guess on the sugar as the freshly bottled relish tasted sweet but with that tartness and "twang" The way I like sweet relishes to be. Nice easy to follow recipe and a great way to use up those green tomatoes.