Recipe by Sharon123
Green tomater fries! Why not? The ketchup is hot and you may use much less cayenne if you like. Adapted from
Top Review by PaulaG
I canned green tomatoes last season using recipe #92294 so they weren't in sticks but in circles. I can't rate for ingredients and quanities but I can rate on taste and ease of preparation. I used 1 pint jar of the canned tomatoes and divided the seasoned flour and ketchup in half which was perfect. These were served in place of french fries with patty melts. Delicious!
- 453.59 g green tomato, cut into 1/4 inch sticks
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 44.37 ml Old Bay Seasoning
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 2.46-4.92 ml cayenne pepper (or less if you're a wimp like me)
- 4.92 ml hot red pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 946.36-1419.54 ml vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the seasoned flour ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl combine Fiery Ketchup ingredients.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 400 degrees.
- For each serving, dip 4 ounces tomatoes in buttermilk, letting excess drain off and then dredge in seasoned flour. Be sure to get all sides, press lightly while flouring so it will stick.
- Fry individual portions so you do not overcrowd fryer. Deep fry for about 1 minute, until outside is golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with 2 ounces Fiery Ketchup for dipping. Enjoy!