Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
My sister found this in a vegetarian recipe magazine a million years ago. Great way to use up your garden's green tomato overflow and much healthier than the traditional fried green tomatoes.
- 4 -5 green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Put chopped tomatoes in lightly oiled baking dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients and spread on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.
This was "okay". I gave it four stars because it really doesn't taste like tomato, but the texture was really off for me. My husband gave it one star because he just couldn't stomach it. I wouldn't make this again. Sorry :(
I had never had green tomatoes before I tried this recipe, so it was definitely an experiment for me! I "mildly" liked it - wasn't crazy over it. I don't think I'll make it again, but it was OK.