This is a good way to use up the green tomatoes from the garden at the end of the season. I'm estimating the prep time - using a food processor will reduce it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs green tomatoes
- 3 lbs apples (I prefer green)
- 3 lbs onions
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 1/2 quarts vinegar, plus
- 1 pint vinegar (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole pickling spices
- 1 1/2 lbs brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1Skin (or not- its your choice) tomatoes.
- 2Pare& core apples.
- 3Peel onions.
- 4Chop the whole lot as finely as you like it- or until your arm gets tired!
- 5Put everything into a LARGE, heavy pot.
- 6Add raisins& first amount of vinegar.
- 7Cook until, about 1/2 hour.
- 8Meanwhile, dissolve mustard in 2nd amount of vinegar& add to pot.
- 9Tie pickling spice into a square of cheesecloth& add to pot.
- 10Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot& bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat& simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
- 12Remove cheesecloth spice bag& pour hot mixture into sterilized jars.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tomato Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (7738 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1200.2
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2908.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 286.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 236.2 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: