Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a good way to use up the green tomatoes from the garden at the end of the season. I'm estimating the prep time - using a food processor will reduce it!
- 3 lbs green tomatoes
- 3 lbs apples (I prefer green)
- 3 lbs onions
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vinegar, plus
- 1 pint vinegar (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole pickling spices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Skin (or not- its your choice) tomatoes.
- Pare& core apples.
- Peel onions.
- Chop the whole lot as finely as you like it- or until your arm gets tired!
- Put everything into a LARGE, heavy pot.
- Add raisins& first amount of vinegar.
- Cook until, about 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, dissolve mustard in 2nd amount of vinegar& add to pot.
- Tie pickling spice into a square of cheesecloth& add to pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot& bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat& simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
- Remove cheesecloth spice bag& pour hot mixture into sterilized jars.