Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Excellent chutney. Goes well with spicey foods. Wonderful recipe to help use those green things!
Make and share this Green Tomato Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- Put layers of tomatoes the with pickling salt.
- Add enough cold water to cover tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain& rinse the Tomatoes.
- Put them a large pot place and add Onions, apples.
- green pepper and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and boil 30 minutes.
- Tie the pickling spice in gauze and add to the pot.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Simmer over low heat for about 2 hours.
- Watch that it doesn't burn!
- Pour into sterilized jars, seal and water bath for 10 minutes.
Most excellent chutney, Bergy. My hubby is very happy with the results. He'll be just itching to try it out on family and friends. We didn't change a thing in the recipe, but found that we had to simmer it more than 2 hours. Who cares?? THANX!
Added some very hot homegrown peppers to this recipe, forgot the chili powder, and it is a very good spicy chutney. Thanks.
I made this last year from our green tomatoes that we picked before the last frost. It is wonderful. I would highly reccommend this as a MUST try.