Recipe by It's loose again
I garden. At the end of the season I had lots of green tomatoes whose blossom end had not blushed, thus they would never ripen. I devised several recipes this year and will try to develop more this season.
- 6 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 9 inch pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Put tomato slices in a heavy pot, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until soft, 20-30 minutes.
- While tomatoes are cooking, remove chorizo from casings, crumble, and fry in a large fry pan in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until browned.
- In another fry or sauté pan, cook mushrooms and onions in 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil over moderate heat until the liquid has cooked out of the mushrooms.
- When the tomatoes are soft, stir in 2 tablespoons of flour, then stir in the mushroom/onion mixture.
- Stir in more flour if too wet.
- Prebake the pie shell for 6 minutes.
- Remove the shell from the oven and spoon 1/2 of the sausage onto the crust.
- Spoon 1/2 of the tomato mixture over the sausage; repeat with remaining sausage and tomatoes.
- Top with cheese and bake 20-30 minutes, until crust is browned to your taste.