Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice use of green tomatoes without frying them. From the Hampton,GA, United Methodist Church Women's cookbook of 2007. Contributed by Paulla Groover. (That is the way the name is spelled in the cookbook.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cream of mushroom soup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup buttered cracker crumb
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the tomatoes into smallish pieces.
- Mix all ingredients except cracker crumbs together and pour into greased casserole dish. I use an 8-inch square.
- Top with buttered crackers.
- Bake for 45 minutes. (Check after 30 minutes because the size dish you use will make a difference.). It should be somewhat firm (not soupy) and lightly browned on top.
I love this recipe. When I don't have green tomatoes, I use tomatillos. I add a little lime juice,
minced garlic and buttered Ritz crackers. Sometimes I make ahead, refrigerate and bake later.
Tomatillos are usually available all year
This was excellent. I can green tomatoes for winter so i can enjoy this all winter Thanks
I agree that this is a great way to enjoy green tomatoes without frying them. I made this as directed and I was pleased, but I thout the flavor could have been better. I think I's add some garlic, fresh parsley (or some other herb) and maybe a little cheese next time. Thanx for sharing!