Recipe by Deb G
A nice use of green tomatoes without frying them. From the Hampton,GA, United Methodist Church Women's cookbook of 2007. Contributed by Paulla Groover. (That is the way the name is spelled in the cookbook.)
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
I love this recipe. When I don't have green tomatoes, I use tomatillos. I add a little lime juice,
minced garlic and buttered Ritz crackers. Sometimes I make ahead, refrigerate and bake later.
Tomatillos are usually available all year
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cream of mushroom soup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup buttered cracker crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the tomatoes into smallish pieces.
- Mix all ingredients except cracker crumbs together and pour into greased casserole dish. I use an 8-inch square.
- Top with buttered crackers.
- Bake for 45 minutes. (Check after 30 minutes because the size dish you use will make a difference.). It should be somewhat firm (not soupy) and lightly browned on top.