Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This time of year if your from the south, tomatos everywhere!! A friend of mine from the Pilot Club shared this with me several years ago. It's great hot or cold.
- 4 medium green tomatoes, sliced thin
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml soft breadcrumbs
- 236.59 ml of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 14.79 ml butter, soften
- Arrange one layer of tomatoes in the bottom of 1 ½ quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper 1/3 of bread crumbs and 1/3 cheese.
- Repeat layers twice omitting the cheese from the top.
- Dot butter over the bread crumbs on top.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for one hour.
- Add remaining cheese, bake uncovered until cheese melts.
Yummy and there are so many ways to personalize this. I tried it with a mexican cheese mix and I sprinkled Emeril;s southwestern spice mix (google the recipe) on each layer. I have eaten almost half of the casserole myself!
If you like fried green tomatoes, you will really like this! I made this for a family get together and it was enjoyed by everyone who likes fried green tomatoes. an hour a 400 degrees might be a tiny bit too long, I covered it at 50 minutes because it was getting too brown I don't think I would change anything else. I put the leftovers on a sandwich the next day. YUM
I had to strip my tomato plants today since we're expecting our first frost tonight, and have lots & lots of green tomatoes. I wanted something easier than frying, and this fit the bill. Quite tasty, and so easy to put together! The only changes I made was to the seasoning-- less pepper, added some onion & garlic powder with some smoked paprika. I also used parmesan/romano blend in one of the cheese layers so I'd have enough cheddar for the top. I love the slight tartness baked with the buttery bread crumbs & cheese. Hubby hasn't tasted it yet, but I like this enough myself to make it again!