Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I thought that this was an interesting use of green tomatoes. The cake is rich made as directed, but I think that it could be lightened easily.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced green tomatoes
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Brown Butter Icing
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add dry ingrediens to butter mixture, beating well. (Batter will be soft.)
- Stir in tomatoes, raisins, and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely.
- Icing: In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until butter is lightly browned. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Spoon Browned Butter Icing over cake.
GOODNESS GRACIOUS HEAVENLY DAYS!!! Who KNEW that a cake made with green tomatoes could be so good. This is almost like a spice cake with "lagniappe". The raisins, tomatoes and walnuts give this a wonderful texture and flavor. The consistency is dense and the icing is to die for. I had seen recipes for this cake but never tried it until this past weekend. IT IS A KEEPER!!! Thanks for posting this great recipe... I REALLY LOVED IT and if I could give it more stars, I would.
This cake is out of this world delicious.. I did not make it, a friend brought me some of her's and the recipe.. I could eat the whole cake.. texture is nice and moist. Will make this today.. thanks a million for sharing
This cake is fantastic. I messed up and forgot to add the baking powder so it did not rise like it should have but it still gets five stars from me. I am definitely not going to short it a rating because of a mistake I made. This is a great way to use green tomatoes. I will most definitely be making this cake again. This time, with the baking powder. :P