Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pureed green tomato
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, margarine, eggs, vanilla and tomatoes.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Fold in chips and nuts.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pick comes out clean.
I just made an almost identical recipe that didn't include cocoa or chocolate chips which is funny because I usually put chocolate chips in any cookie or cake recipe. The recipe I used had raisins instead but they were so similar I feel confident in reviewing this recipe.
It was so easy pureeing the green tomatoes in my blender after cutting them into about eighths then adding the sugar and margarine in the blender, mixing the dry ingredients and then mixing the wet into the dry. A really easy and delicious moist cake, next time I'll add the chocolate chips. I hope others give this recipe a try.
I wasn't sure about the tomato-cocoa combo, but I had so many green tomatoes, I gave several recipes a try. This was by far our favorite, everybody who tried it loved it. Also tasty with an added cup of coconut, and if you are looking for a luxury sweet, add some vanilla or cream cheese icing. Delicious, thanks for posting!