Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Surprizing, my grandmother turned everything that grew in her garden into cakes. This is one of her recipes and you will just love it since it will allow you to transform your green tomatoes in something else than green ketchup!! The cake by itself is not so sweet; the icing makes it just right.
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups green tomatoes, seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup red cherries, strained and cut in halves
- 1⁄2 cup of pie raisins, floured
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Butter a round 8" cake pan or use Pam.
- In a bowl, mix oil, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- In another bowl, pass through a sieve the flour, the baking power and the baking soda.
- To the flour preparation, add the tomato pieces and the cherries.
- Add the flour preparation to the egg mix, blending well.
- Pour the cake mix into the cake pan and cook for approximately 75 minute.
- Let cool before icing.
- Ice with my Cream Sugar Icing.