1/1 Photo of Green Tomato Breakfast Cake (Or Plum)
1 hr 20 mins
When Marion Burros ran this simple recipe in the New York Times, it became the paper’s single most requested recipe. Based on a 40-year-old recipe for plum cake that first appeared in Marion Burros and Lois Levine’s The Elegant but Easy Cookbook, this cake is just as good for dessert as it is for breakfast. We substituted green tomatoes for the plums originally called for, but you can use either.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 9-inch round cake pan or baking dish with oil.
- 2Cream butter and sugar. When slightly fluffy, beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder and salt and sift into the creamed butter mixture; beat well. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Arrange green tomato pieces in concentric circles over batter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and cinnamon.
- 4Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until cake is firm and golden.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tomato Breakfast Cake (Or Plum)
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 66.8 mg
- Sodium 171.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 27.3 g
- Protein 3.6 g