Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great unique southern bread. I know it sounds a little yucky, but trust me it's good.
Make and share this Green Tomato Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped green tomatoes (2 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups of chopped pecans
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine the eggs, oil, and vanilla; stir well. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in the tomatoes and pecans.
- Spoon the batter into 2 greased and floured 81/2 by 41/2 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
We loved this bread ! Since my husband is diabetic I did substitute 1 cup of Splenda for the sugar and it turned out great. Thanks for a unique way to use green tomatoes before the frost hits !
Amazing bread! Very tasty, perfect mix of ingredients :) Didn't have pecans, but I can't wait to enjoy another loaf with them included. Lovely to be able to put my green tomatoes from this fall to use and brush up on my baking skills! I can't wait to see the perplexed yet delightful looks on my parents' faces when they taste this bread!
Oh my goodness. I made this last fall when we had an abundance of green tomatoes and this is delicious. I made one batch, and we ate the first loaf within minutes! So I ended up making 3 or 4 more batches (I don't remember) and stuck them in the freezer. So good. I was skeptical but no worries. thank you for sharing something I would have never thought of.