Recipe by RivkaD
From "Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook". The best way my family has found to use up your green tomatoes! Less time, trouble, and equipment than pickling them. Also, you can freeze the loaf cakes.
- 473.18 ml green tomatoes, diced
- 709.77 ml flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the green tomatoes. MEASURE AFTER DICING. I cut them small to hide them in the cake (about the size of large raisins, a quarter of a cherry tomato). My husband leaves them larger to show there really are tomatoes in there (1/2 of a cherry tomato). Suit yourself!
- Mix dry ingredients, set aside.
- Mix oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in tomatoes and nuts.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. (Personally I find it always takes up to 15 minutes longer than this; keep baking until toothpick comes out clean.).