1 hr 5 mins
From "Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook". The best way my family has found to use up your green tomatoes! Less time, trouble, and equipment than pickling them. Also, you can freeze the loaf cakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice the green tomatoes. MEASURE AFTER DICING. I cut them small to hide them in the cake (about the size of large raisins, a quarter of a cherry tomato). My husband leaves them larger to show there really are tomatoes in there (1/2 of a cherry tomato). Suit yourself!
- 2Mix dry ingredients, set aside.
- 3Mix oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- 4Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- 5Stir in tomatoes and nuts.
- 6Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
- 7Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. (Personally I find it always takes up to 15 minutes longer than this; keep baking until toothpick comes out clean.).
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tomato Bread
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.7
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 38.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g