This is an adaptation of a couple of different green tomato casserole recipes I clipped from magazines years ago. A variety of different sausage types can be used. Try it with wieners or franks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup green tomato, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, sliced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 large carrot, sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1Saute onion, green tomato, chilies, carrot and garlic in oil or butter for a few minutes.
- 2Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart casserole sprayed with no-stick spray or lightly buttered.
- 3Stir in rice, sausage and parsley.
- 4Heat broth to boiling and add to casserole.
- 5Cover tightly and bake at 350 F for about 40-45 minutes or till rice is done and liquid is absorbed.
- 6Check after about 30 minutes and add a little additional broth or water if it seems to dry.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tomato and Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.4
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 1304.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 19.9 g