Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an adaptation of a couple of different green tomato casserole recipes I clipped from magazines years ago. A variety of different sausage types can be used. Try it with wieners or franks.
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup green tomato, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, sliced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 large carrot, sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Saute onion, green tomato, chilies, carrot and garlic in oil or butter for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart casserole sprayed with no-stick spray or lightly buttered.
- Stir in rice, sausage and parsley.
- Heat broth to boiling and add to casserole.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350 F for about 40-45 minutes or till rice is done and liquid is absorbed.
- Check after about 30 minutes and add a little additional broth or water if it seems to dry.