Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummm! Tofu steps in for fattier meats, and brings with it its many health benefits and, you won't believe it!, great taste! These really can only be formed into patties if you use the eggs. This one comes from "This Can't Be Tofu!"
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) carton extra firm tofu or 1 (14 -16 ounce) carton firm tofu, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder or 2 teaspoons red chili powder or 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce or 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (toasted over medium heat in a small dry skillet until fragrant, 2-3 minutes) or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, roasted (toasted over medium heat in a small dry skillet until fragrant, 2-3 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 poblano chiles, roasted or 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies, drained
- 2 cups loosely-packed chard leaves or 2 cups beet leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, do not use if Vegan (optional)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Crumble tofu so it resembles ground pork, then wrap it in a towel and squeeze out the water. Turn into a large bowl and toss with chipotle powder and soy sauce.
- Puree half the vinegar with the garlic, oregano, cumin, and coriander seeds. Add the chile and blend until smooth, then add remaining vinegar along with the chard, cilantro, and parsley. Blend until you have a bright green puree.
- Combine puree with tofu, bread crumbs, salt, and eggs (if using). Toss well. Before cooking the mixture, check seasoning by frying a little of it, and then tasting it. Add more salt if needed.
- If you've added the eggs:.
- Form the mixture into 30 2-inch patties using 2 tablespoons of mixture for each. Mixture is soft but it will hold together.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add one-quarter to one-third of the patties and fry until browned and lightly crisp, turning carefully once, for about 5 minutes. Repeat with the other remaining patties, in batches, adding oil as needed (use probably around 6 TB oil total).
- If you did not use eggs:.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the mixture and cook, stirring and turning a few times until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Turn onto a plate; cool briefly and then crumble or chop with a spatula, or cover and chill to use later. Repeat with another 2-3 tablespoons oil and use the remaining "chorizo" mixture.