Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1⁄4 cup small pearl tapioca
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 3⁄4 ounces coconut milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- Cover the tapioca pearls in warm water in a bowl and let sit on the counter for 20 minutes. Drain the pearls.
- Heat milk, coconut milk, salt, and pearls over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, stirring regularly, until tapioca are translucent and chewy, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- While milk and tapioca are coming to a boil, whisk egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually add sugar. Add matcha and whisk together.
- Add a small amount of the heated milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking continuously. (An extra set of hands can be helpful.).
- Pour the egg mixture back into the milk mixture and continue to heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a heat proof bowl. Let sit at room temperature until cool. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator until cold, about 1-2 hours or overnight.