Recipe by Cynna
Green tea ice cream is often served as a dessert in Japanese restaurants. Green tea ice cream is called maccha ice cream in Japan. Maccha is tea powder used in Japanese tea ceremonies. Posted for ZWT II '06
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Made this for our 4th of July crowd as was looking for a more adult treat and I'd brought some Matcha home from a vacation in Japan so thought it was a good opportunity to try it out. I was a little more work than some recipes I have but oh so much fun. Loved the bright green color that my Matcha gave it. I had a really high grade matcha so think I could have used a little less of the powder, or maybe added a little more sugar, but it was very good. Loved the sauce, I whipped it slightly to give it a little more body and it was perfect. I had taken a photo but in my computer challenged status deleted it instead of loading - sigh!! But just know it was really pretty too.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 4 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, hot
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For the ice cream:.
- Lightly whisk egg yolks in a pan.
- Add milk and sugar in the pan and mix well.
- Put the pan on low heat and heat the mixture, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat.
- Soak the bottom of the pan in ice water and cool the mixture.
- Mix hot water and green tea powder together.
- Add the green tea in the egg mixture and mix well, cooling in ice water.
- Add heavy cream in the mixture and mix well.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker, following instructions of the ice cream maker.
- For the Sauce:.
- Mix sugar and maccha green tea powder in a bowl.
- Add hot water in the bowl and stir well.
- Add heavy cream and until well combined.
- Serve over ice cream.
- Store in refridgerator.