Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Green tea ice cream is often served as a dessert in Japanese restaurants. Green tea ice cream is called maccha ice cream in Japan. Maccha is tea powder used in Japanese tea ceremonies. Posted for ZWT II '06
- For the ice cream:.
- Lightly whisk egg yolks in a pan.
- Add milk and sugar in the pan and mix well.
- Put the pan on low heat and heat the mixture, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat.
- Soak the bottom of the pan in ice water and cool the mixture.
- Mix hot water and green tea powder together.
- Add the green tea in the egg mixture and mix well, cooling in ice water.
- Add heavy cream in the mixture and mix well.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker, following instructions of the ice cream maker.
- For the Sauce:.
- Mix sugar and maccha green tea powder in a bowl.
- Add hot water in the bowl and stir well.
- Add heavy cream and until well combined.
- Serve over ice cream.
- Store in refridgerator.
Made this for our 4th of July crowd as was looking for a more adult treat and I'd brought some Matcha home from a vacation in Japan so thought it was a good opportunity to try it out. I was a little more work than some recipes I have but oh so much fun. Loved the bright green color that my Matcha gave it. I had a really high grade matcha so think I could have used a little less of the powder, or maybe added a little more sugar, but it was very good. Loved the sauce, I whipped it slightly to give it a little more body and it was perfect. I had taken a photo but in my computer challenged status deleted it instead of loading - sigh!! But just know it was really pretty too.