I got this receipe from Anna Olson's Sugar on Food Network Canada. I was a bit dubious about putting fresh ginger in the cake - but it gives these cakes absolutely wonderful fresh taste, like nothing else I've ever tasted. For tea-lovers, this cake is a must - it's best if you can find some matcha powder - it also gives the cake wonderful green colour. But if you can't find any matcha you can use green tea leaves - infuse them with the orange zest and strain.
My Private Note
mini bu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (squeeze from the zested)
- 1 1/2 ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons green tea powder (matcha)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 300 F and spray and flour 6 mini bundt tins. If you don't have mini tins, you can use a big one (4-5 cups) too.
- 2Cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- 3Stir in honey and zest, add eggs one at a time. Mix well.
- 4In a separate bowl, mix together yoghurt, orange juice, grated ginger and vanilla. Stir into the egg mixture.
- 5Sift in dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, ground ginger, matcha powder and salt).
- 6Gently fold in the poppy seeds.
- 7Spoon evenly into the prepared pans, they don't rise much so you can fill to the top.
- 8Bake for 25 to 35 minutes (add 10 if using a big tin), they are done when a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 9Allow to stand for 15 minutes, then take out of the tins and let cool on a wire rack.
- 10Glaze: In a pan on low heat, add butter. Stir until melted and then add icing sugar. Add 1 tbsp of water and stir until it has a glaze consistency, add more water in drops if needed. If it becomes too thin, add more sugar.
- 11Pour over the mini bundts and let set, which happens really quickly. The purpose is to just glaze them, it's not icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tea Ginger Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (854 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.5
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 120.5 mg
- Sodium 191.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 51.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green tea powder