Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A sweet treat.
- 4 eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- Prepare an 11 x 7" pan by greasing and lining with greased and floured wax paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat 2 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, and 7 tablespoons sugar together until thick and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon green tea.
- Sift mixture onto beaten eggs and fold until combined.
- Beat remaining egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Beat in remaining 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff.
- Fold into batter.
- Spread batter in a shallow 11 x 7" pan that has been greased and lined with greased and floured wax paper.
- Bake until lightly browned and springy to touch.
- Loosen edges of cake.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, then cover with a kitchen towel and invert onto a flat surface.
- Let cool.
- Using a biscuit cutter or other decorative cutter, cut out 24 pieces of cake.
- Knead almond paste with 1 teaspoon green tea.
- Roll out thinly between sheets of plastic wrap.
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut out 12 decorative shapes.
- Gradually whisk heavy cream into superfine sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons green tea, then beat until not quite stiff.
- To assemble cakes, sandwich two cake layers with about 1/4" green tea whipped cream.
- Frost top and sides with whipped cream and decorate with almond paste cutouts.
- Chill until serving.