Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My mom used to make split pea soup every fall/winter, but no one else liked it so she and I were the only ones who ate it...Recently I thought of those younger days again and found myself wishing I knew how she'd made it...After a little research and alot of online recipe comparisons, I think I have created a recipe I like and one that I can even do in the slow cooker/crockpot! Serve with hot rolls or biscuits...
- 1 lb split peas (dried green or yellow)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (low sodium if available)
- 1 ham hock
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 6 cups water (plus 4 cups water to soak the peas in overnight)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- The night before, add 4 cups cold water to slow cooker/crockpot; stir in the dried green split peas; do NOT turn on the slow cooker/crockpot.
- Cover and let soak overnight; In the morning drain and rinsed the split peas; Return the rinsed peas to the slow cooker/crockpot.
- Add the chicken bouillon cubes, the onion, the garlic and the pepper; do NOT stir.
- Place the ham hock on top of everything, in the middle of the slow cooker/crockpot; Slowly pour in the 6 cups of water; do NOT stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours; resist the urge to open the lid for a peek; do NOT stir.
- When the cooktime is over, remove the ham hock and remove the meat from it; Chop the meat finely and return to the soup.
- NOW you can stir and see if it is thick enough for you; if not, remove half the soup and puree it in a food processor or a blender.
- Return the pureed soup to the slow cooker/crockpot and stir; Serve hot with crusty rolls or biscuits.
- Leftovers may be frozen for OAMC purposes and reheated in the microwave at a later date.
- Prep time listed does not include overnight pre-soaking of the peas.
This was a very tasty recipe. Like reviewer Chef#583312, was going to add potatoes, but forgot. Didn't matter to my sisters, they gobbled this up at dinner (my sister had 2 helpings!). Thanks, Cookin'withGas, for posting this recipe. Will have again!
This dish was great!!!!!! I added potatoes to it as well.It's so goood! I also made cornbread with butter to go along with it!! Will make it again sooon!!!!