8 hrs 10 mins
My mom used to make split pea soup every fall/winter, but no one else liked it so she and I were the only ones who ate it...Recently I thought of those younger days again and found myself wishing I knew how she'd made it...After a little research and alot of online recipe comparisons, I think I have created a recipe I like and one that I can even do in the slow cooker/crockpot! Serve with hot rolls or biscuits...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The night before, add 4 cups cold water to slow cooker/crockpot; stir in the dried green split peas; do NOT turn on the slow cooker/crockpot.
- 2Cover and let soak overnight; In the morning drain and rinsed the split peas; Return the rinsed peas to the slow cooker/crockpot.
- 3Add the chicken bouillon cubes, the onion, the garlic and the pepper; do NOT stir.
- 4Place the ham hock on top of everything, in the middle of the slow cooker/crockpot; Slowly pour in the 6 cups of water; do NOT stir.
- 5Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours; resist the urge to open the lid for a peek; do NOT stir.
- 6When the cooktime is over, remove the ham hock and remove the meat from it; Chop the meat finely and return to the soup.
- 7NOW you can stir and see if it is thick enough for you; if not, remove half the soup and puree it in a food processor or a blender.
- 8Return the pureed soup to the slow cooker/crockpot and stir; Serve hot with crusty rolls or biscuits.
- 9Leftovers may be frozen for OAMC purposes and reheated in the microwave at a later date.
- 10Prep time listed does not include overnight pre-soaking of the peas.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.0
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 397.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.3 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: