Recipe by Topher
Re-edited thanks to the review: A spiced up split pea soup. Cooking time depends on how you cook the vegetables. The cooking time on here is just a guess, 6 and 1/2 hours on high worked well in the crock pot
Top Review by Cookin-jo
I love curry and adding it to a split pea soup is a wonderful idea. I enjoyed the soup but I thought it would really benefit from a couple of additions. I missed the meaty flavour you usually get from a pea soup and when I added a chicken boullion cube it really made a difference. I think next time I would use at least half chicken broth instead of all water. I would also add some additional curry powder, more cayenne and salt and pepper. I used 1 Tbsp fresh ginger instead of ground. I didn't bother with the microwave and just threw everything into the crockpot for 6 1/2 hours on high which worked perfectly. With the few suggested changes this would be an excellent recipe and I will be making it again. Thank you, Topher.
- 2 cups split peas, dried
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 3 broth, 3 water)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Set slow cooker to high. Preheat 6 cups of water to boiling and add to slow cooker with cover.
- While the water is heating, sort out any unwanted material from the dried green split peas. Rinse split peas well and add to the heated water in the slow cooker.
- Wash and peel the onions and carrots. Dice and place in crockpot.
- Wash and dice celery and add to the onions and carrots. Clean and crush or mince garlic and add it to the rest of the vegetables in the crockpot.
- Add all the seasonings and the lemon juice to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and leave on high setting. Stir occasionally, checking to see if more hot broth/water is needed for desired consistency.
- Let cook for 6 and 1/2 hours or until its at desired thickness.