1/5 Photos of Green Split Pea and Bacon Soup
From Super Food Ideas July 2008. Though I have listed chicken stock as per recipe I used a homemade ham stock. This bought back memories of New Years Eve parties that my parents used to have and there was always pots of mushy peas served. UPDATE- after making this several times now I have found the cooking time will vary between 25 to 45 minutes - I can only put it down to the split peas and that they may vary from packet to packet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 1 1/4 cups dried split green peas (dried peas rinsed)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water (cold)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 125 g bacon (rashers shortcut rind removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (to serve)
- 4 crusty bread rolls (to serve, I used bacon and cheese)
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and add onion and garlic and cook stirring for about 3 minutes till onion is soft.
- 2Add peas and stir to coat.
- 3Add stock and cold water and bring to the boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for 25 to 45 minutes or until peas are tender (see note above).
- 5Remove from heat and process half the soup in a blender or use a stick blender till smooth or do what I did and put the stick blender straight into the pot and process to your liking.
- 6Return to pot or if you just used the stick blender, stir in lemon juice and cook for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- 7While soup was cooking in the first 25 minutes, heat a frying pan over medium high heat and add bacon and cook till crisp or use Barefoot Contessa's Oven Roasted Bacon .
- 8Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and drain.
- 9Crumble into pieces.
- 10Ladle soup into bowls and top with crumbled bacon and paprika and serve with a roll.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Split Pea and Bacon Soup
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.7
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.8 mg
- Sodium 755.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 27.9 g