Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Awesome vegan spaghetti dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh winter savory, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 sprig fresh basil or 1 sprig winter savory or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Sauté coriander in oil and butter in large saucepan until fragrant. Add garlic and onion. Cover pot and soften vegetables over low heat for a few minutes. Add green tomatoes and saute a few minutes longer, until slightly softened. Add broth, herbs, salt and sugar. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes, until tomatoes are completely soft.
- Process sauce in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pan, heat to just below boiling, add cheese, and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is thick and smooth. Serve over spaghetti and garnish with fresh herb sprigs.
I was a little hesitant to try this, but it was pretty good! I didn't have any savory, so I just left that out. Both DH and I thought it was another great use for all those green tomatoes! Thanks, we will make this again.