Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I came up with this when I have left over green enchilada sauce. DH really liked this. Great served with mashed potatoes or rice. This would be a great OAMC dish because you can put the sauce over the chicken before freezing and use it like a dump chicken dish.
- 4 -8 chicken thighs or 4 -8 chicken breasts
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce (large can)
- 1 small onion
- Brown chicken (or not).
- Place in crock pot.
- Add onions.
- Pour enchilada sauce over chicken.
- Cook for at least 4 hours.
- You can make a gravy after chicken in cooked by adding cornstarch slurry to the sauce and cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes.
- I did not brown chicken because I had bl/sl chicken thighs, but if I had skin on I would have browned first.
The chicken was very tender and had a lot of flavor. I had a couple of small open cans of sliced jalapenos that I added just to get them out of the fridge. I ended up making a smothered burrito by shredding the chicken in the flour tortilla and adding sour cream, cilantro and then smothering the burrito with the sauce. Yum!
i am re-reviewing this because i made a few alterations and have enjoyed it MUCH more since then. i've been baking this in the oven instead of putting it in the crock pot... one step that i think is an absolute must is thawing and draining the chicken before baking or else the sauce will become watered down and less flavorful. we eat this pretty often, as it is easy and tasty!
Too easy and a big hit with my family. I did use thighs with the skin and bone. I browned first then added to the crock pot. I let the whole mixture sit a day in the fridge so the fat from the skin could come off the top easily. I served shredded chickn over mashed potatoes smothered in the sauce. YUM!