Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I can't remember where I found this recipe, but it's been pasted into my own hard-copy recipe book (which I used all the time until I discovered RZ). I love hearts of palm but haven't found too many recipes using them, so I make this often. I've served this salad to several people who said they had never even heard of hearts of palm, and they've said they were pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoyed the taste.
- 14 7⁄8 ounces jars, or can of hearts of palm, drained
- 1⁄2 large purple onion, cut into very thin strips
- 1 roasted sweet red pepper from jar, drained
- 5 cups mixed baby greens
- shaved parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon dried dill (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Cut hearts of palm (usually found in the canned vegetable section) into 1/2-inch slices. Slice purple onion lengthwise into very thin strips. Cut bell pepper into thin strips.
- Combine baby lettuce, hearts of palm onion and red pepper in a large salad bowl. Whisk together all ingredients for the salad dressing and toss with salad mixture.
- Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
LOVELY! I love palm hearts, we get them in France all the time! I made this as posted but cut it right back for one, just me! I added a little tomato too, and also some extra dill as a garnish. The parmesan cheese really adds a great salty taste to the fresh palm hearts. A great little salad, I had to use mixed salad leaves, so not all of them were green, but they were good! Made for the recipe swap in the Aus/NZ forum and also for the Magic of Herbs in the photos forum. Merci! FT:-)
Wonderful salad! Have never had hearts of palm before but must say they were a tasty addition to a salad that already had so many tasty dimension. The only change I made was to use fresh dill instead of dried because I love fresh dill and had it on hand. You can bet I will be making this again. Thanks for the post.