A Scandinavian Vegetarian/Vegan salad from Eating Well Magazine. I have fond memories of simple salads such as these during my travels to Sweden. They recommend you use thin, tender asparagus for this recipe. NOTE: I found the raw asparagus kind of strange for me, so next time I am going to cook it slightly before putting it in the salad.
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (may sub extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (may sub Splenda)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 heads bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (may sub Boston lettuce)
- 2 cups very thinly sliced fresh asparagus (I only used 1 cup)
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas (may sub thawed previously frozen peas, I only used 1 cup)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (may sub scallion greens)
- 1⁄2 avocado, cubed (optional, but a great addition)
- Combine lemon zest and juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl.
- Add lettuce, asparagus, peas, tomatoes, chives (or scallion greens), and avocado if using; toss to coat.
I love the tart dressing that goes over this pretty salad! I added a bit of avocado since I had one available. Would make again!