Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This fluffy rice side dish is flecked with green parsley, green onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. There is great flexibility with this recipe. For example, add slivered almonds, or add baby peas at the end. It's just as easy to omit something (like mushrooms) if you have picky eaters. The key to a nice fluffy pilaf has to do with important steps in the preparation: sauteeing the rice in the beginning, then covering the pot and cooking it over very low heat for 17 minutes without stirring or looking.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- Melt butter in saucepan; add green onions, green pepper and garlic; saute 2 minutes.
- Add rice to pan; cook and stir 2 more minutes so all rice is coated.
- Add chicken broth and sliced mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
- Stir once; reduce heat to very low and cover pan. Simmer 17 minutes, without looking.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.