Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a versatile side-it's mild and goes well with many main dishes. I use one package of frozen spinach, thawed under warm water and squeezed dry. I've also used swiss chard in this, just be sure to chop very finely or even puree the greens.
- 3 cups cooked white rice, slightly underdone
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup spinach, cooked and very finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 3 quart casserole or 9x13 pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then turn into the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, until eggs are set.
A nice, easy side for a spicy fish dish. I cut the recipe in half and used a 1 qt. dish. I would saute the onion next time first, because it didn't get quite done enough for us. We like onion not as crunchy. Made for My 3 Chefs game.