Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish goes great with Sour Cream Shrimp Curry, posted under a separate recipe. Great for a buffet.
- 4 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 2 cups minced green onions
- 2 cups minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups fresh spinach, washed,stems removed and chopped finely
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups long grain rice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- chopped red pepper (, to garnish)
- Place oil, green onion, parsley, and spinach in a large microproof casserole: Cover and microwave on High 100% power 4-6 minutes.
- Or until the veggies are softened stirring once during cooking time.
- Stir in the stock, rice, salt, pepper.
- Cover and microwave on high 100% power 20-25 minutes or until the rice is softened.
- Stir at least once during cooking time.
- Let stand, covered for 5 minutes to allow all the moisture to be absorbed.
- Garnish with red pepper.
I love recipes like this that are simple, quick, and yet great tasting. Since I scaled down to 1 serving, I wasn't really confident of cooking times using a microwave, so I did this on the stove-top. I substituted water for the stock, and used dried parsley. The rice surprisingly cooked in 12 minutes flat! Using stock would have given this more flavour, but even with water, it made a nice, light dinner. Thanks Bergy!
You are right....this goes wonderfully with your "Sour Cream Shrimp Curry". I cut this recipe down for 4 people. I used basmati rice because that is what I had on hand. Thank you again for a great recipe!