Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The 'green' comes from the cilantro. Good with grilled foods or Mexican cuisine. (Can be made with either brown or white rice- see note).
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic paste (or fresh garlic)
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in brown rice, cover, and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- While rice is cooking place cilantro, onion, and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cilantro mixture to the rice when rice is about halfway done (about 20 minutes into cooking).
- Recover pan and continue to cook until rice is done (another 15 to 20 minutes).
- (NOTE: If using white rice instead of brown, use only about 2 1/2 cups broth, and reduce cooking time to about 25 minutes total.).