Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a good side dish for Mexican food also low fat.
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 green onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 3⁄4 cup canned sliced green chiles
- salt and pepper
- Use a 3 qt.
- saucepan with tight fitting lid to cook the rice.
- Combine water and salt in pan and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add rice and cover, reduce heat to low.
- Cook rice for about 20 minutes, until grains are tender and water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, prepare vegetables.
- Chop Roma tomatoes into small pieces, and put into small bowl.
- Season lightly with salt, sprinkle in the vinegar, and toss to cover all tomato pieces.
- Cut off root ends and about 2 inches of green tops from washed green onions.
- Slice onions into very thin rings and add to tomatoes.
- As soon as rice is finished, stir in tomatoes, onion, cilantro leaves, and green chiles.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, with a dab of sour cream if you like.
Fabulous! Lots of flavor with a minimum of work. All present gave it a 5* review.
This is a great rice dish with some heat to it! I used regular onions and tomatoes and fresh green chilies, and this made a fantastic lunch with a small cup of curds (yogurt).
This was a lovely accompaniment to Denise in NH's Recipe#25394 - Roquefort Chicken Breast - a great combination! Thank you Terri!