Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this recipe from About.com.
- 5 green plantains
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 lb cooked bacon (chopped into small pieces)
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 sweet chili peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- Heat the oil for frying to 375 degrees.
- While the oil is heating up, peel the green plantains and then cut them into 3/4 inch slices.
- Fry the slices in the hot oil for 3 minutes. They should be a light golden color and semi-soft.
- Remove the plantain slices with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Tip: Maintain the oil’s temperature.
- When the plantain slices are cool enough to handle (about 1 minute), smash them into flat rounds.
- Fry the rounds in the hot oil for 3 minutes. They will turn crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the slices with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- In a mortar and pestle, mash together the bacon, garlic, peppers, onion and olive oil a little at a time until everything is incorporated.
- Add the broth. If the stuffing is not moist enough, add more broth until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Serve the stuffing as it is or stuff your turkey and follow cooking instructions on the turkey package.