Make and share this Green Pistachio Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the muffin tins by greasing them well.
- Combine the dry ingredients including the zest and finely chopped pistachios in a large bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the creamed mixture until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and rum extracts.
- Starting with about 1/4 of the dry mixture, alternately add part of the dry ingredients and the milk, briefly mixing after each addition. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared tins. Sprinkle the tops with the coarsely chopped pistachios.
- Place the muffins in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 375 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes or until the muffins test done.
- After the muffins have cooled for five minutes, remove them from the tins to cool on a wire rack.
- Baker’s Note: It’s the finely chopped pistachios that give the muffin a green hue. We used a nut chopper to chop ours finely. You can also chop them in a food processor.
This is an okay recipe. It's a little wet, taste is okay. I think a sour cream base with some baking soda would also help the spring. It took closer to 20 minutes to be done.
Pistachio muffins seem to be everywhere now. I prefer to substitute walnuts, 1 t. almond extract & "sour" the milk with 1 t. of apple cider vinegar, to moisten the recipe. I think if a box of instant pistachio pudding mix could be incorporated somehow, it would greatly improve the recipe.
Really good! I'm the 3rd reviewer now who didn't wind up with green muffins, but I really don't mind that. I didn't have any rum extract so I left it out, otherwise I followed this closely. I got 12 muffins plus some extra batter. Thanks for posting!