Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 mins
If you like Peppermint Patties or Junior mints you'll probably like the taste combination in this dessert. The idea of using LIME jello may seem weird, but the peppermint overwhelms the lime taste, so that what the lime Jello is contributing is its jelling properties and the color green rather than its flavor. (If you're worried about this, take a taste of the jello right after adding the peppermint extract and add more if you think it's necessary; I tested mine like this the first time I made it but didn't find any more extract was needed.) The Dream Whip version of this seems a little better than the Cool Whip version, though both work fine. Cooking time is actually jelling time. To be safe, I usually make this a day ahead.
- 2 (3 ounce) packages lime Jell-O gelatin or 1 (6 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) container Cool Whip or 1 envelope Dream Whip topping mix, prepared with
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 Oreo cookies, crushed fine
- Dissolve Jello in 2 cups boiling water.
- Add 2 cups cold water and peppermint.
- Chill 1½ hours.
- Pour 1-3/4 cup of the gelatin into the bottom of a 9 X 5 X 3-inch loaf pan and chill approximately 15 minute Blend the topping into the rest of the gelatin and spoon 1/3 of mixture into the pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the Oreo crumbs.
- Add another layer of topping-Jello mixture, another sprinkling of cookies and end with the rest of the topping-Jello mixture.
- Chill at least 4 hours until thoroughly set.
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Optional: just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle more crumbs over the top.
- To serve, cut into approximately 1-inch-wide slices.
Very good although I will increase the peppermint next time, also I doubled the amount of Oreo cookies, I did not unmold it I just left it in the pan, mine took more than 4 hours to set but that may be because of my fridge temperature, thanks ehco!...Kitten