Recipe by Chabear01
I got this recipe from "Leftovers Makeovers" This Meat Loaf is Meal number one, then you can use the leftovers to make Meatloaf Burritos the next night or Meatloaf Shepherd's Pie the next if you have enough left over. Here at my DD's I might get enough left over to make one or the other but never both. The kids love this meatloaf, and it is one I appreciate since there is no tomato in it so I can enjoy it without suffering later.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 (2 1/8 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage, I like to use Bulk Italian Sausage
- 4 slices bacon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, green peppers, onion, celery leaves, parsley and soup mix. Crumble beef and sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12 inch x 4 inch loaf. Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Back, uncovered, at 350°F for 1 hour. Place bacon strips over top if desired. Bake 45 - 69 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
- Enjoy this for a winter meal, and be prepared to use up the left overs later. If you want dice up the left over meat loaf, add some cooked elbow macaroni, and your favorite bottled or canned spaghetti sauce, heat a bit, serve with a green salad and you have one quick work-night meal with out much added cost.