1/1 Photo of Green Pepper, Ham, and Tofu Skin With Sesame Vinegar
This style of dish in Japan is called yasai okazu (vegetable side dish) perfect for eating with steamed white rice. It is very easy to make and provides very wonderful textural feel to your teeth. It's hard to describe it in English. In Japanese, it's called hagotae (to the teeth - like al dente feel to the Italians). This dish is great with steamed white rice. If you are a vegetarian, omit ham and increase tofu pockets (aka aburaage) to 4-5 slices. The taste of this dish is predominantly green pepper and sesame sauce and deleting ham does not affect the taste much.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 green peppers (can use equal mixture of green and sweet red peppers for color) or 3 sweet red peppers, seeded and deveined (can use equal mixture of green and sweet red peppers for color)
- 4-5 slice ham
- 3 tofu pockets (aburaage)
- 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 1For Sesame Sauce: (Depending on size of green peppers, you may only need to use 2-4 T sauce for this dish and you can keep the extra sauce for other sauteed veggies and meat).
- 2Grind toasted sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle or spice/coffee grinder until they are moderately ground. It should be half way between seeds and paste.
- 3Combine prepared sesame seeds with oyster sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sugar and 1 T soy sauce; set aside.
- 4For Vegetables:.
- 5Thinly slice green peppers, ham, and tofu pockets (aka aburaage) approximately same size.
- 6Using a moderately high heat, heat a frying pan and add oil and sesame oil.
- 7Add green pepper, ham, and tofu pockets (aka aburaage) slices to the frying pan and turn down heat to medium.
- 8Saute for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 9Add 1 T soy sauce and continue to saute for additional minute.
- 10Remove from heat and combine with sesame sauce and serve either warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Pepper, Ham, and Tofu Skin With Sesame Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.0
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 1036.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: