Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Its my own recipe, a variation of a common Indian dish.
- 1⁄4 cup frozen green peas or 1⁄4 cup fresh green peas
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cups rice
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 dried red chili
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger
- Boil the two cups of rice in water until just done.
- Do not over cook this or you will have mush for dinner.
- Drain the rice in a colander.
- In the mean time fry the onions on med heat in ghee until golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic and the green peas.
- Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the spices (leave them whole).
- Add the chili (if you like spicy food break it open) otherwise leave it whole.
- Stir fry till the peas are done.
- Add the salt and then gently add the rice.
- Stir it gently until all the ingredients are just mixed. Place on a microwavable serving platter.
- Just before serving microwave on high for 3 minutes.
I halved this recipe and made it as a side dish for lunch this afternoon. I substituted the ghee with oil and used 2 green cardamoms instead of 1. Next time, I'll use 3 and not 2. I will also increase the spices in this the next time I make it. We found it to be on the very mild side. I added 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder to this to give it some nice tinge of yellow. As for salt, 1 tsp. worked fine for me. We served this with plain fat-free yoghurt and it was nice. Will try again!