Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Punjabi side dish which sounds really good. I intend to try it soon.
Make and share this Green Peas Masala recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cups green peas, frozen
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk or 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, for garnish
- Heat oil and add cumin seed. As soon as it sputters, add onion and cook about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes.
- Add water, turmeric, garam masala, salt and red chile powder. Let boil for 5 minutes.
- Add peas and continue cooking until tender, about 7 min for frozen and about 10 min for fresh peas.
- Add milk and cook 3 min more.
- Serve, with cilantro leaves sprinkled on top.
Loved these tasty peas! The spicing was spot on and the milk gave the dish just the right amount of creaminess. I used frozen peas which worked fine for this. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!
A nice, mildly spiced dish. I did as another reviewer did and added canned tomatoes and used less water (1/2 cup - but it was still lots of liquid). It doesn't need more hotness, but I would definitely recommend increasing the other spices or adding some ground coriander to it.
What I liked best, besides the flavor, is that it counts as a starch AND vegetable dish all in one! I used canned tomatoes so i cut back on the water to 1c. It made just enough sauce. I served the peas with pan fried chicken breasts sprinkled with garam masala. The kids were in heaven ~ we ate it all! Made for Best of 2012 tag.