Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is the prize-winning recipe from the Thursday magazine dated Feb 9th-15th'06. Enjoy!
For the cups
- 2 cups refined flour
- 4 tablespoons warm melted ghee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- water, as required to make dough
- oil, to deep fry
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiled green peas
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1 cup coarsely mashed panir
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon chat masala
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- To prepare the dough, mix refined flour, ghee and salt in a round flat-bottomed bowl using your greased(with some ghee so that the dough will not stick to your fingers)fingers.
- Add enough water as is required to prepare the dough until it is semi-hard.
- Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- From the dough, pinch off small balls.
- Flatten each ball and then roll it out using a rolling pin(just the way you make chappati/roti/Indian flatbreads). Roll out to the size of about 7 cms. in diameter.
- Now take about 7 small metallic containers.
- Cover them from outside using the thinly rolled dough.
- Deep fry in warm oil till the dough is golden brown and crispy.
- What we are trying to achieve here is the shape of the cups. I think it is an amazing way of blending in creativity into cooking!
- Drain on clean absorbent kitchen paper napkins.
- Next, carefully separate the container and cups.
- Store the cups in an air-tight container.
- Repeat likewise for remaining cups.
- Then start making the stuffing.
- For this, heat oil in a pan.
- Toss in onions and stir-fry for a minute.
- Fold in capsicum and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle some water while stir-frying to prevent from burning.
- Add the boiled greenpeas and the mashed paneer, garam masala powder, salt and chat masala powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir-fry for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow it to cool.
- To serve, stuff the cups with the prepared stuffing.
- Then, garnish each cup with finely chopped tomatoes and finely chopped corriander leaves or parsley or cilantro or mint leaves(whichever is your favourite).
- Note: You may also use your choice of veggies in the stuffing. If you do, please mention it in your review for myself and others to try. Thanks!