Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is a nice little southern dish--great comfort food. You may use homemade drop dumplings in place of the canned biscuits if you wish. Prep time will be longer with the fresh peas and dumplings.
Top Review by Sassy in da South
Thank you for a return trip to my childhood. My gramma used to make this all the time when we were growing up. It tasted just like I remembered. I didnt have evaporated milk so I just used regular milk, which is how I remember my gramma making them too. Turned out great! Thanks for sharing a long ago favourite.
- 3 lbs fresh green peas (frozen is fine)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated biscuits
- onion salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell and wash peas; drain.
- Combine water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add peas and simmer 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Stir the sauce into the peas.
- Top with biscuits and sprinkle lightly with onion salt. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until the biscuits are done.