Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a nice little southern dish--great comfort food. You may use homemade drop dumplings in place of the canned biscuits if you wish. Prep time will be longer with the fresh peas and dumplings.
- 3 lbs fresh green peas (frozen is fine)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated biscuits
- onion salt
- Shell and wash peas; drain.
- Combine water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add peas and simmer 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Stir the sauce into the peas.
- Top with biscuits and sprinkle lightly with onion salt. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until the biscuits are done.
Thank you for a return trip to my childhood. My gramma used to make this all the time when we were growing up. It tasted just like I remembered. I didnt have evaporated milk so I just used regular milk, which is how I remember my gramma making them too. Turned out great! Thanks for sharing a long ago favourite.
How have I lived sooo long without ever trying this. Terrific comfort food, Recipe Fairy. I substituted turkey broth for the water since it needed to be used up but otherwise didn't and wouldn't change a thing.
My husband LOVES these! His Mama is from Georgia and taught me to make these years ago. I use regular milk instead of evaporated, but other than that same! I do not eat them as I do not care for peas, but he says 5 stars all the way!