Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the first thing I ever made that helped me truly appreciate the flavor of tarragon. Who knew that it would go so great with peas! It's a savory and deliciously nutritious green pea soup. Great for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (I make mine from Better than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (10 ounce) bag green peas, organic and frozen
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt (optional)
- In a medium pot over medium heat, cook the onions in the olive oil until soft.
- Once the onions are cooked, add the broth, tarragon, garlic powder, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the frozen peas and boil until cooked.
- Next, you will blend the mixture in two batches. It is necessary to do it in batches so that the soup doesn't explode on you due to the heat! (Trust me, I did this.) Pour about half the mixture into a blender or food processor and liquify. Use a strainer to pour the first batch back into the pot. Blend the second batch and strain back into the pot as well.
- Reheat or serve cold. Garnish with a little bit of yogurt if desired.