Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick, simple recipe for pea soup. Ellie Kreiger on Food Network made this. I just made an adjustment for my taste buds.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped ham
- 4 teaspoons plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- .Heat olive oil in a large pot over low-med. heat. Add onion, cover and cook until onions are softened (stir occasionally) about 5 minutes Then add broth, salt, a few turns of freshly ground black pepper and the tarragon, bring to a boil. Add the frozen peas and cook until they are defrosted.
- In a blender, puree the soup in 2 batches until very smooth (or you can leave it just so ham is a little chunky or not).
- return to the pot and just simmer.
- Ladle into bowls while hot and finish off by puttin a swirl of smooth yogurt on top.
- Or, you can put in the fridge and chill - if you like cold soup.
- I serve oyster crachers or saltines with it or better yet? A nice crusty piece of bread.
- and butter (oops--better not - it adds more calories) oh well your choice.
it was great tasting, +did add cuisinarted potatoes(3med),+frozen carrot slices(1 bag)for 8people. the potatoes thickened the soup nicely.