Recipe by Buster's friend
Summer is coming! A lovely salad that even the hesitant quickly grow to love. Adapted from Taste of Thai (note that "cook time" is actually time to let salad marinate & develop flavor before serving) Garnish by serving on top of crisp iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves. Note - I use plain unsweetened chili sauce or chili-garlic sauce.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice (1 lime)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs papayas (5-6 cups shredded)
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons peanuts (chopped honey roasted or dry roasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- For dressing:.
- Mix lime juice, sugar, garlic, chili sauce and fish sauce in a small bowl. Add sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- For salad:.
- Peel papaya, seed & grate on a mandoline.
- If slicing, slice into thin matchstick pieces. Place 1/3 of sliced papaya in a heavy zip lock type bag. Using the smooth side of a meat pounder (or rolling pin) pound papaya to soften. Add to bowl and repeat with remaining sliced papaya. (Skip this step if you grated the papaya).
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and dressing to grated or sliced/pounded papaya.
- Toss to combine and let sit 30 minutes to flavor.
- Sprinkle on peanuts and toss immediately before serving.
- Serve on a bed of chopped lettuce or in individual lettuce leaves.