Goui/noam - Vietnamese salads 'Goui' is any shredded vegetable served raw with mint and basil or coriander plus many of the wild herbs which are not available here in the U.S. Here Green Papaya is generaly the vegetable of choice. On the top of the dish there is cooked meat, shrimp or beef jerky. Fish sauce dip is used as dressing for the dish. You can make 'goui' with any kind of vegetables as long as you shred, wash and drain them dry before adding any dressing to it. You can use shrimp crackers to serve with the salads.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 lb) medium papayas, remove the skin,split,seeded and cut in very thinly julienne strips
- 1/2 lb pork loin (boneless)
- 1/2 lb of shelled and deveined shrimp
- 3 teaspoons of chopped coriander
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Asian basil or 3 tablespoons mint
- 1/2 cup of chopped roasted peanuts
For Fish sauce dip for dressing
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 fresh limes, juice of or 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 hot red chili pepper, minced (optional)
- 1Wash the shrimp with salted cold water.
- 2Drain and set aside.
- 3Boil water in a medium sauce pan.
- 4When the water begins to boil put the piece of pork in the sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for at least 30 minutes until cooked through.
- 5Drain and set aside.
- 6When it's cool, julienne cut into long thin 2-inch strips.
- 7In another sauce pan, boil water.
- 8When the water is boiling, put the shrimp in and cook for 5 minutes.
- 9Drain the shrimp, split in half and set aside.
- 10Soak the shredded green papaya in a large bowl of cold water with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 11Let it sit for 10 minutes; then rinse and drain it well.
- 12Use a cheesecloth to squeeze out the water from the shredded papaya.
- 13Add pork, shrimp (save a few shrimp to decorate the top of salad), fish sauce dip, and toss.
- 14To make fish sauce dip simply combine the ingreidents listed and mix well.
- 15To serve: Put the salad on a plate and arrange the cooked shrimp on top, sprinkle the top with coriander, and basil or mint, and chopped peanuts.
- 16Guests can use shrimp crackers to scoop up the salad to eat.
- 17A second method of serving: use finely shredded beef jerky instead of pork and shrimp.
- 18The rest of the preparations are the same.
Browse Our Top Papaya Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green papaya salad
Serving Size: 1 (875 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 930.7
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 240.8 mg
- Sodium 2081.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 62.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh Asian basil